Schedule A Consultation 713-955-1800

I think my employer is guilty of wage and hour violations

The vast majority of Texas residents are hard, loyal workers who just want fair treatment in the workplace. Unfortunately, there are those who have fallen victim to wage and hour violations. Do you think your employer is guilty of these types of violations? If you do, you may be able to do something about it.

State and federal laws require employers to pay workers minimum wage and overtime when they work over 40 hours per week. Employers may try to find ways around these laws, but if caught they could end up paying for it in more ways than one.

What to do

If you believe you are the victim of a wage and hour violation, you can report the issue. Wondering to whom? The Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division accepts such complaints. After receiving a complaint, this unit has an obligation to investigate the matter, as long as you filed your report within the statute of limitations -- which is two to three years depending on the details of your case.

What information does the DOL need?

You may file your claim in person or by mailing it in. Either way, the DOL requires that you submit specific information with your claim, including the following:

  • Your name and contact information
  • Your employer's name and contact information
  • Details about your pay and position
  • Dates when the alleged violations occurred
  • Details about the alleged violations

If the DOL requires any further information, an agent handling your case will contact you.

Other actions

Along with filing a complaint with the DOL, you may have the right to pursue legal actions against your employer. If such actions prove successful, you may achieve back pay and additional compensation for your losses.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be paid for your work. Your time is valuable and your employer does not have the right to skimp out on paying you. If you decide to file a legal complaint against your employer, an experienced attorney can help you draft and file the complaint and then work to seek compensation for you through either out-of-court settlement negotiations or litigation.

If you are scared about your employer retaliating against you for pursuing such a claim, don't be. It is illegal for employers to do so.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

office location icon

Office Location

Sturm Law PLLC
712 Main Street Suite 900
Houston, TX 77002

Phone: 713-955-1800
Fax: 713-955-1078
Houston Law Office Map

phone number icon

Phone Numbers