Schedule A Consultation 713-955-1800

What does the FLSA say about minimum wage and overtime?

No one wants to feel unappreciated or cheated while at work. You may not necessarily love your job, but you appreciate the paycheck that comes along with the work you put in. Your employer may not always seem to appreciate you in the same manner, but you can overlook a lack of encouragement and pats on the back as long as you receive your deserved compensation.

Of course, you may face major issues if your employer does not properly pay you. In fact, if your employer violates the Fair Labor Standards Act, you may need to explore your legal options in order to determine the best course of action to ensure that you receive the compensation you rightfully earned.

Information in the FLSA

The FLSA dictates multiple aspects of employment law, particularly those related to compensation. Minimum wage, overtime pay, youth labor and recordkeeping are all addressed in the FLSA. Employers must adhere to the following terms in the FLSA:

  • When it comes to minimum wage, non-tipped workers must receive at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. Though states have the ability to set their own minimum wage, the federal rate has not increased since 2009.
  • Tipped workers who receive at least $30 per month in tips may receive a minimum wage of $2.13 per hour. Compensation for tipped workers can become confusing, so it is important that both workers and employers understand the related regulations.
  • When it comes to overtime pay, employees receive time and a half of their regular hourly pay when they work more than 40 hours a week. However, exemptions do exist for overtime pay, so it is wise to understand who qualifies as an exempt worker.
  • When individuals under the age of 18 are employed, employers must stick to the regulations relating to the number of hours minors are allowed to work and what they can do.

These standards are helpful in ensuring that you and other workers receive rightful compensation. However, some employers may violate the law, and it could take direct efforts from you to work toward obtaining your earned wages.

Filing a legal claim

In some cases, it may take filing an employment law claim in order to have a situation involving wage theft or similar violations addressed. While taking this step may seem intimidating, you do not have to go through the process alone. You can enlist the help of a Texas attorney well versed in employment law who can assess your situation and guide you through your available options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

office location icon

Office Location

Sturm Law PLLC
712 Main Street Suite 900
Houston, TX 77002

Phone: 713-955-1800
Fax: 713-955-1078
Houston Law Office Map

phone number icon

Phone Numbers